Monday, April 8, 2013

We sent off Elders Borden, Tolman, Kelsey, Sande, and Davis.

Dear everyone,
First off, Heather, I got your letter.  Are you still using your old e-mail address or not?  Inquiring minds need to know.  =)  (In other words, I loved your letter and I want to respond by e-mail...  So it actually gets through.  Let me know, yeah?)
Secondly, this last week was great and I'm loving serving with Elder Stewart.  He reminds me a lot of Andy.  It's fun and we get along great.  He's a very solid missionary and a hard worker.  We're finding folks as quick as we can.  He's from Las Vegas (Henderson, technically) and is a connoisseur of high-powered vehicles.  He knows a lot about sports cars and super bikes and the like.  Talking with him has been fun.
We had a crazy rain storm on Saturday.  The streets quite literally became rivers and we were knee deep in running water.  We went that morning to prepare Augusto and João Bapstista's baptism and it, sadly, didn't go through.  We had to delay due to difficulties with water at the chapel.  Still, they're raring to go and ready.  They'll be baptized soon.
I haven't been able to see conference yet, but I was able to watch Priesthood Session and wow.  I loved it!  President Uchtdorf's talk was quite moving and I love President Monson's advice for success.  It was all very youth-focused and I'm grateful for that.
We sent off Elders Borden, Tolman, Kelsey, Sande, and Davis.  It's crazy that they're all gone and have already started up "regular life" again.  I wish them all well and hope that they're enjoying every blessing.
I was reminded that my Birthday is coming up on Saturday and was grateful for that today--I haven't been thinking much on the date, I guess.  Thanks for the well-wishes.  I sure love you guys.
Dad, you're in my prayers and I'm excited for the new opportunity that's come your way!  Good luck.
This week I've learned a lot.  Might I direct your collective attention to Alma 34?  In verse 39 we read:

 Yea, and I also exhort you, my brethren, that ye be watchful unto prayer continually, that ye may not be led away by the temptations of the devil, that he may not overpower you, that ye may not become his subjects at the last day; for behold, he rewardeth you no good thing.
Prayer is super important.  It is one of few weapons that has true and lasting effect on the enemy of our souls. 

But I especially love the last phrase:  "...He rewardeth you no good thing."  What an apt statement to describe what Lucifer has to offer even the greatest of his followers.  In contrast, what does Christ offer?
For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
I suppose we could say that Christ offers every good thing.  I liked that idea, so I thought I'd share it with you all.
Today we went shopping at a place I haven't been to in a very long time and I was pleasantly surprised.  I'll be going back there.  We found Gatorade, refried beans, tortillas, taco mix, corndogs, salsa, and so much more.  I haven't seen any of that stuff in what feels like decades, so I took advantage.  Happy Birthday to me.  =)
Well, I love you all.  I'm loving life and hope that you are too.
Elder Eckman

No comments:

Post a Comment