Monday, August 20, 2012

Pres. Thompson letter about transfers


Dear everyone,                                                            July 30, 2012

I had the great experience of being able to hear about transfers this morning!  So, I'm going back to Luanda 2.  The office position is being dissolved.  Elder Borden's off to Lubango.  I'll only be in Luanda 2 temporarily...  Here, I'll quote the e-mail I received from Pres. Thompson as it explains it quite nicely and is really touching to me.
Hello Elder Eckman,
I was hoping to be able to inform you of a significant change of assignment.  After your long and hard work in blazing new trails as the first Office Elders, I have felt to move both you and Elder Borden on to other assignments.  In fact, I had planned to have you to open a new area and train a new missionary.  I felt strongly that you were up to that assignment, even to the extent that I was going to ask you (in addition to these two weighty assignments) to spend part of your time in training the new office couple, and perhaps even Sister Thompson and myself, in the office programs and procedures that have been put in place to date.  However, I have just learned at the last minute that one of our new missionaries will not be arriving as scheduled, which has forced me to revise the transfer assignments. 
Accordingly, I am assigning you to work with Elder Rainbolt, at least on a temporary basis.  He is waiting for his companion to arrive from New Jersey and we are not exactly sure when that will happen, but every indication is that it may be soon. 
Once Elder Rainbolt's new companion arrives, I am not sure exactly where we will place you, but if you will bear with me in being willing to be a bit of a "floater" while you complete your training assignment, we will be able to work something out.  I know that this is a lot to ask of you, but I have every confidence that you can do it.  Elder Borden will not be available to assist you in any of the office training, as he is being transferred to Lubango.  I am sorry that you will not be training a new missionary just yet, as I felt certain that it would be a wonderful, growing experience for you, but sometimes (as I am still discovering) the Lord has other plans for us and other things that He wants us to learn.
Please know of my love for and confidence in you and please feel of my appreciation for all that you do.  I look forward to meeting with you in person very soon.

President Thompson


I was very touched by his trust in me though he's yet to actually meet me.  We still don't know when he's coming, but we assume that it will be within the next 2 weeks. I'll keep you all posted.

So, I'm going home!  To my first area, at least.  I don't imagine it will last terribly long, but one never knows.  I've already spent pretty much all of my mission in Luanda 2, so I figure I just haven't yet completed my whole purpose there.  We'll see how it goes!  =)

I'll miss Elder Borden.  He's been a true friend and my longest companion thus far.  I bet he'll love Lubango.  Working with Elder Rainbolt will be really fun, though.  He's a great missionary, a fun guy, and will help me make the most of my time on the mission.

I'm stoked for the opportunity to train, if it comes.  I'd really like that, in fact.  I'm also glad that I won't be in the office full time anymore.  It's a hard calling for me to love.

Have you ever thought on our purpose here on earth as members of the church?  It's to build the kingdom.  Simply put, we are here to edify the Lord, give Him all, and never give up.  Sacrifice simply is not enough...  We must consecrate our lives to Him.  It's the only true path to happiness.  I love you all.  I hope that life continues to treat you all well and that this week is a blessed one.

Elder Cody R. Eckman

No comments:

Post a Comment