Monday, May 14, 2012

Translating for visitors rom South Africa


Dear folks of every clime,                                                                   April 30, 2012

How is everyone?  Well, I hope this e-mail finds you all well.  My life is incredible!  In general, mission life is cool.  When you augment it with an awesome companion, the best mission country in the world, and the building up of the church here, there's nothing to complain about!  We've had two visitors from South Africa in the past week.  We'll be having 4 more within the next 3 weeks.  Generally, President takes them around and shows them what they need to see, etc.  But, sometimes, Elder Borden and I get to entertain them and show them certain things or take them places.  It's been an interesting week.  But, hey, the church is growing super fast here!  The visitors all represent different areas of the church--Seminary and institute, physical facilities, finances, public relations, land procurement, etc.  It's such a huge blessing that they're all coming!

I had to translate yesterday at church for the English speakers.  What did I find out?  I learned Portuguese from natives and don't know what the exact English translation is for a bunch of stuff...  It went okay.  I felt really bad about it, but all the English speakers said that it was a really clear, good translation.  They're all very kind.  When I hear Portuguese, I don't think in English.  I just think in Portuguese.  I guess that's bad for translation.  I'll have to try harder next time.

We recently found a bunch of new investigators!  This is a huge blessing for us.  We've been so busy lately that we haven't had a lot of time for regular teaching.  We're making it happen, though.  I love teaching people the gospel and have been missing it.  I think Elder Borden has been as well.

I was reminded recently about the idea of "keeping a summer home in Babylon" and it got me thinking.  How often do we justify our sins with the thought, "I've been doing so well lately that this little thing won't mean anything."  Wow.  What a damning thought.  We just... stop.  We cease to grow with thoughts like that.  We allow sin to rule us and give up our precious self-dominance for "just a little thing".  It's not worth it.  If we make a firm decision to follow the Lord in all things, we don't have to keep a summer home in Babylon.  We can leave sin behind and continue to receive more from the Spirit.  It's better that way, I think.

On the 13th we'll be able to call home.  I'll let you know the specifics next week, mom, but know that I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing you all!  I'm definitely not homesick, but I am home-aware, at times.  I love you all!

Sorry, it's a short e-mail today.  That's life, sometimes!

Elder Cody R. Eckman

No comments:

Post a Comment