Monday, May 14, 2012

Embarrsssing story," Am I getting Old"


Dear friends, family, and conspiring enemies,                                                                     May 7, 2012

Firstly:  Sister Kelsey, Elder Kelsey says hello and that he'll tell you all the stories you want to hear when he calls home in a week.  =)  Mom, I'll be calling you around 7:30 in the morning.  I hope this is acceptable.  I'm super excited for it, by the way.  It'll be nice to hear your voices and see your faces again.

This week was awesome!  We got to teach a bit more than usual, finally chose an apartment (who knows when we'll actually move in?), and ran around like crazy trying to get work done.  This next week looks even crazier.  For now, for the record, we're still living in Cassequel.  We work a lot in Nova Vida (a part of Luanda 2) and it's starting to become one of our de facto areas.  We still don't technically have an area.  MLS is running well.  I feel very blessed to be involved in the work, but wouldn't mind if it stopped being my responsibility.  Not to complain, I just really miss teaching regularly.

So, get ready for an embarrassing story...  I threw out my back on Saturday.  Due to the large amount of time we spend in traffic, the fact that the driver's seat in the truck is AWFUL, and the fact that the clutch is incredibly heavy I've been having minor lower back problems.  On Saturday night, I was standing over my companion, holding a flashlight, and trying to help him fix something when, suddenly, my back seized up.  I couldn't stand.  The pain was awful.  Elder Borden helped me inside, got me to my bed, and helped me lay down.  I couldn't even turn over.  Elder Wilhelm brought me some Ibuprofen and some Icy Hot and Elder Walker gave me a blessing.  It was nice.  Later, I tried to get up to go to the bathroom.  I rolled out of bed (an improvement!), got to my knees, and found that I couldn't stand.  Elder Borden tried to help me up, but when I got to my feet I collapsed again.  I decided to wait and went back to bed.

The good news is that the next morning I was feeling better.  The bad news is that I feel SUPER OLD.  Just saying...  Back pain?  Wow, Elder.  You must be old.  Just call me Pops.

Overall, I loved this last week.  I learned a lot of cool lessons, taught some great people, and realized the importance of family.  When was the last time you all read The Family:  Proclamation to the World?  Read it.  It's so inspired and incredible.

Well, I love you all.  I hope your collective lives are running down awesome courses.  Live, love, and be happy.  It's what we were made for.

Love,

Elder Cody R. Eckman

No comments:

Post a Comment