Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bebinha is back from Portugal

Dear friends, family, and assorted other folks,

Sorry I'm a day late again. We're still working toward obedience,
staving off pride with a rapid infusion of humility, fighting
trunkiness with the sword of the Spirit, and saving the souls we find
along the way. The Lord is very good to us, but we have to accept His
goodness and follow His counsels to completely understand it, I think.
Life's a party (which truly isn't always a good thing), and we're
figuring out how to do the work His way. My companion and I are
slowly coming to understandings with each other, slowly breaking the
walls that we have, and trying desperately to not build new ones.

One of my favorite members ever returned yesterday from Portugal and
invited us over for lunch today, so I'm super excited for that in
about an hour-and-a-half. Her name is Bebinha and if any of you
remember, she's the member who lost her husband, Ferão. Honestly,
we're very blessed with members like her who just like to feed the
missionaries. I'm probably gaining weight. (I honestly can't tell.)

President is working really hard to get everything ready for the 4 new
missionaries who are coming in about a week! I'm super stoked for
that! New faces are going to be a blessing. I also recently found
out that a friend will be arriving here in August... Elder Dyllen
Cafferty! I'm excited to see him. I'm sure he doesn't read this, but
I'm somewhat positive that someone who knows him does. Tell him to
write me and I'll tell him all sorts of awesome things to expect. We
need hard workers like him and I'm stoked that he's been called to the
greatest mission in the world.

I just finished the D & C and am now working on The Old Testament. I
read The BoM every day, too. I recommend it, as always. That book...
It's not of men.

I've realized recently that sin comes when we become too self-focused.
Wickedness never was happiness. Sin is the opposite of joy. Joy
comes from love. Charity is the pure love of Christ. Charity is
selfless. Sin is selfish. Sin makes us miserable. We were created
to be happy. No matter how you slice it... Sin is stupid. It halts
progression, tears souls, ruins families, happiness, realtionships of
all sorts, confidence, and the list just keeps on going. Sin is the
opposite of our purpose because it brings only misery. Keep
yourselves selfless, be pure, have charity, and you'll avoid the sins
that are going to bring pure, liquified pain. Have love. Sin not.
Have joy. This is the message of Christ.

Life keeps on pushing, love keeps on flowing, and missionaries keep on
working. I love you guys. Stay the course and know that somewhere in
Africa. a fat missionary is being called chinese by small half-naked
children.

(If that didn't make you smile, you're not human.)

Love,

Elder Cody R. Eckman

No comments:

Post a Comment